More Than a Decade Promoting Strathglass
Strathglass Marketing Group was founded in 2001 to promote the local area and associated tourism businesses. This is achieved initially through our website and our links with bodies such as Destination Loch Ness where we have a presence on the Board of Directors. SMG also has a vital role in lobbying organisations such as Visit Scotland, Forestry Commission Scotland and The Highland Council. The group is also active in promoting/supporting events open to both visitors to the area and local residents.
How SMG Promotes Your Business & the Strathglass area
- A web site full of local interest and activities to attract visitors
- A full web page promoting your business together with a link to your own web site
- Developing Facebook/Twitter presences that will increase number of visitors to the website
- A group membership of the DLN which is one of the more advanced Destination Management Organisationís in Scotland - vital in promoting Strathglass at an area level
- Events promotion. These include local Duathalon, walking festivals, musical events as well as local business promotions
- Links with other local areas promoting events in Beauly & Drumnadrochit
- SMG has produced its own Glen Affric & Strathglass leaflet, free to members and packed with local information, that you can distribute to your guests/prospective guests
In 2004 SMG launched two major events - The Glen Affric Walking Festival & The Glen Affric Duathlon. Both events proved very popular and helped market the area. The Walking Festival is now in its 9th year whereas the Duathlon was last held in 2009 but will be returning for 2015.
In the past few years SMG provided financial support to the live music events in Cannich Hall to raise funds for refurbishment of the premises following its takeover by a local community enterprise. We also contributed towards creating an improved play area for local children.
It is hoped to be able to continue supporting worthwhile local events which will bring benefits not only those specific to our members but also to the wider community.
Major Project - The Affric Kintail Way
The SMG for several years has been working with its partners to implement a new long distance trail using an existing network of paths between Drumnadochit and Kintail via Cannich thus bringing additional economic benefits to the area. A lot of effort has gone into this project and finally achieved completion in September 2014.
Training & Support
In the past we have organised awareness days to cover topics such as QA, Social Networking and Business Development. This type of event can always be offered again by request. Costs will always be kept to a minimum and if possible be free. When there is something of interest PR will be purchased to gain maximum exposure through the media, this will in part be done through the DLN.